Constipation is a condition in which it is tough to empty your bowel. Feces (stool) are dry and hardened. One feels sluggish, pain and bloating.
Why Constipation Does Happens??
Constipation can happen to anyone. Being a child, women or old people. Causes of constipation are wrong eating habits &improper lifestyle pattern.
Eating junk foods and spicy foods, drinking more sodas and less water, eating fewer vegetables, fruits and fiber in your diet makes you constipated. Also, stress, less sleep, and inappropriate working hours increase its tendency.
How Does Yoga Plays Important Role In Relieving Constipation?
Yoga helps in relieving constipation by stimulating blood flow towards Digestive System. Muscles of intestines constrict and relaxes,which in turn helps your stools moving more freely through the intestines for excretion.
Yoga poses which work to relieve constipation and digestive disorders:
1. Surya Namaskar (Sun Salutation):
- This asana comprises 12 different yoga poses.
- Stand straight facing the sun. Touch both feet together.
- Join your both palms and bring your hands close to your chest making a Namaskar (Salutation).
- Take deep breathe, raise your both hands towards backside in an upward direction.
- Now, breathe out slowly and bend forward. Your hands should be aligned with your feet and head touching your knees.
- Breathe slowly, take the right leg back and place the knee to the ground. Bend the left knee & touch the ground with your hands.
- While breathing out, bring the right leg back.Try to raise your buttocks upwards and make a triangle.
- Breathe out until your feet, knees, hands, chest, forehead touches the ground. Hold the breath.
- On breathing raise your head in an upward direction and bend in the backward direction as much you can.
- Now breathe out slowly and lift your upper body backside making an arc.
- Breathe in slowly and extend the right leg back and drop the knee to the ground. Bend the left knee and hands should be firm with the ground.
- Now exhale slowly and bend forward. Hands should be aligned with your feet and head touching your knees.
- Take a deep breath and raise your hand in an upward direction. Stand straight, join your palms together and again make a salutation while facing the sun.
It cures constipation, improves digestion and gives shape to the body.
2. Bhujangasan (Cobra pose):
- Lie down on your stomach and relax.
- Joint your legs, so that knees of both the legs touch each other.
- Place the palm on the ground. Keep your elbows straight.
- Take a deep breath and lift your head, neck, shoulders, chest upwards. All weight ofyour upper body will come on your hands and thighs.
- Try to stretch &move your head back as much as you can without over-straining.
- Hold your breath for some time and breathe out slowly and bring back your stomach, chest, shoulder, and head to the initial pose.
- Repeat this cycle for 4-5 times.
It helps in acidity, indigestion, and constipation.
3. Halasana (Plough Pose):
Lie on your back. Join the legs together. Relax the whole body.
Keep your palms on ground and breath normally.
Breathe out,hold the palms on the ground raise your both legs above and try to touch your legs with the ground behind.
Breathe slowly and hold the posture for 1-2 minutes.
Now slowly return to initial pose.
Repeat this for 3-5 times.
It helps in digestion & appetite. Strengthens the abdominal muscles.
4. Pawanmuktasana (Wind Relieving Pose):
- Lie flat on your back and keep the legs straight, relax&breathe deeply.
- Inhale and lift the legs and bend knees. Bring them upwards your chest. Try to touch your thighs to your stomach.
- Hug your knees with chest and lock your fingers.
- Try to touch your knees with your nose tip. Regular practice may help you do this. Hold this position for 20 to 30 seconds. You can extend it to 1 minute later on.
- Breathe out slowly, come back to the initial position(Lie straight).
- Practice 3 to 5 times.
Helpful for gastrointestinal problems & constipation.
5. Ardha-Halasana (Half Plough Pose):
- Raise your one leg at a time or both legs perpendicular to the ground.
- While relaxing for a few seconds then breathe in slowly & raise both legs upwards.
- Raise your legs perpendicular to the ground.
- Hold your breath for a few seconds.
- Now breathe out slowly and bring your legs again towards the ground.
- Relax and repeat it 3 – 4 times.
- You can practice this by completing one cycle by left leg then the right leg.
It stimulates abdominal organs.
6. Vajrasana (Diamond Pose):
- Sit on the floor and fold your legs. Keep the spine straight and close the eyes.
- Keep the right palm on right knee and left palm on left knee.
- Now start to breathe in slowly then breathe out slowly.
- Repeat these steps for 5 minutes and take a rest. You can increase the time for 15 minutes.
Cures constipation, acidity, increases digestion process & cures stomach disorders.
7. Uttanpadasana (Leg Raised Yoga Pose):
- Lie flat on your back& breathe normally.
- Place your hand on either side of your body.
- Inhale slowly and lift the legs at 45 – 60 degree.
- Hold this posture for 15-20 seconds to feel pressure in your lower abs.
- Breathe out& relax your posture by lowering down your legs.
- Repeat this for 3-4 times daily
Improves the function of digestive system, remove gases from the intestine &increases blood circulation.
8. Paschimottanasana (Forward Bend Pose):
- Sit down straight with legs stretched together, head, neck, and spine erect.
- Place the palms on your both knees.
- Bend your head, chest, and abdomen slowly forward to catch the toes with the fingers without bending knees.
- Take a deep breath and exhale slowly. Try to touch your head to your knees.
- Bend the arm and try to touch the elbow with the floor.
- Breathe out completely and hold your breath for few seconds.
- After few seconds slowly return to your initial position.
- Repeat it for 3-4 times.
Good for constipation and digestive disorder. Removes fat deposits in the abdomen.
9. Dhanurasana (Bow Pose) :
- Lie on the ground on your stomach.
- Relax & take 2-3 breaths.
- Breathe in slowly and bend your legs backward and try to catch the ankles with the hands.
- Try to make your body in a shape of a bow.
- Your whole weight comes on your abdomen. Your stomach should touch the ground.
- Hold this position for few 15-20 seconds and continue taking a deep breath.
- Now breathe out slowly and come back to initial pose.
- Repeat this cycle for 4- 5 times daily.
Very effective in curing constipation. Improves blood circulation and improves the function of kidneys and liver.
10. Balasna (Child Pose):
- Very gentle position in which body face the floor in fetal position.
- Bend your head, fold both arms and legs while keeping the knee on the ground.
- Concentrate on breathing and relax your mind & body.
- This pose helps in stretching of thighs, arms, and core muscles. Helpful in managing constipation.
Helpful in relaxing body and mind. Cures constipation.
11. Kapalbhati Pranayama:
- Sit on the floor by folding your both legs, your knees bent and shins tucked under your thighs. Keep the spine straight and eyes closed.
- Put your both palm on your knees.
- Inhale deeply and exhale with all your force so your stomach will go deep inside and contracts.
- Breathe out with short bursts.
- Do not stress on inhalation and exhalation.
- Repeat these steps for 5 minutes and take rest. After gradually, you can increase the time for 15 – 30 minutes.
- Should practice on medium level. Do not practice fast.
Helps in removing toxins from the body and cleans the Intestine, Cures Acidity and Constipation.
So, if your bowel movements are irregular stop worrying and start practicing..!!
Just a few minutes of your daily time and you can actually look forward to a healthy digestive system and a happier you!
But, don’t forget to improve your diet habits. Include fiber-rich foods, fruits and vegetables in your diet. And do not forget your minimum 8 glasses of water.
Regular Yoga practice with proper sleep & relaxation will help you.
And if you like the article keep updating us guys. Like, share and comment in the comment section.
Ease your constipation and keep pooping you in a Joyful fashion…!!!!