Excessive intake of painkiller medication, change in dietary habits and lack of fiber in food may be the main reasons behind constipation. Most of the person think they are constipated but in actual they aren’t. Constipation is term referred to condition in which person is not getting bowel movement for more than three days.
Constipation can be chronic and temporary. In chronic type condition, patient suffer from constipation on frequent intervals of time for more than a month or in temporary type constipation, patient occasionally feel constipated due to change in diet or excessive use of medication. According to Ayurveda, most of the ailments are associated with the constipation. Constipation is the lead cause that leads to origination of buildup of toxic substances in the body. In constipation, people feel trouble during evacuation and bowel movement.
According to Ayurveda, constipation is due to imbalance of Vata dosha which is cold and dry in nature. Due to which bowel movement through intestine become difficult as most of the water get absorbed in intestine. In constipation, stools are generally hard, small in size and painful while evacuation. Most of the drugs used to relief from constipation can cause side-effects such as pancreatitis, itchiness and temporary relief from constipation. But remedies that helps to pacify aggravated doshas helps to provide permanent relief from constipation even in chronic conditions. Some of the home remedies for constipation are:
1. Ispaghula Husk: Fybogel or Ispaghula Husk is a natural bulk forming laxative which helps to in treatment of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and its symptoms. It helps to increase the bulk of stools and produces urges to evacuation and in turn relieve from constipation.
2. Lemon: Lemons, or more specifically the juice from lemons, can treat constipation as it stimulates the digestive system and gets things moving.
1. Extract the juice of half a lemon and add it to a glass of warm water. You can also add a pinch of rock salt or one-half teaspoon of table salt and a little honey to it.
2. Drink the lemon water first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. You can also drink a glass of this solution in the evening.
3. Follow this remedy daily and expect results within a few days.
3. Figs: Figs are very high in fiber and act as a natural laxative. Those suffering from chronic constipation should include figs in their diet. For the treatment of constipation, both fresh and dried figs can be used. When fresh figs are available, eat them with their skin on. The skin contains most of the fiber and calcium.
1. Take two to three almonds and dried figs.
2. Soak them in water for a few hours.Peel the almonds and grind the ingredients.
3. Take this paste with one tablespoon of honey at night.
4. Flax Seed: Flax seed has many medicinal properties along with tons of fiber and omega-3 fatty acids. Also, flax seed has a laxative property, which can be very useful in curing mild to very serious cases of constipation.
1. Mix one tablespoon of flax seed in a glass of water and allow it to rest for two to three hours.
2. Drink the water daily before going to bed.
3. In the morning, your bowel movement will be much better. Alternatively, you can simply eat two to three tablespoons of ground flax seed with a glass of water.
5. Spinach: Spinach is really good for the digestive tract, especially when you are suffering from constipation. Raw spinach has various components that can cleanse, reconstruct and regenerate the whole intestinal tract.
1. To get rid of constipation, you must include spinach in your diet. You can eat it either raw or cooked, depending on how you like it.
2. If you have severe constipation, drink a mixture of one-half glass of raw spinach juice and one-half glass of water, twice daily. Within a few days, you will get much relief.
6. Ayurvedic Products: Person with constipation can also adapt Ayurvedic products such as Pet Saffa Ayurvedic Powder for constipation. It is an approved Ayurvedic formulation consist of 15 Ayurvedic herbs such as Senna, Nisot, Castor Oil, Amaltash, Ispaghula, Triphala, Ajwain, Kalanamak, Sendhanamak and many more. These herbs helps to pacify body dosha and provide relief from even in chronic constipation condition.
1. Take 1-2 full teaspoon of Pet Saffa Churna along with like warm water.
2. Take it before bedtime and as directed by physician.