Acid Reflux or Acidity are the common terms used for the excess production of acid by the gastric glands of the stomach. In Stomach, Hydrochloric acid is responsible for the breakdown and digestion of foods. But in some conditions there id increase in the production of hydrochloric acid which cause symptoms like acidity, acid reflux, dyspepsia, heartburn and gastric inflammation.
Acidity depends on various internal and external factors such as irregular diets, eating habits, stress and smoking, lack of physical activity, are the leading cause of acidity or heartburn. Constipation, Indigestion, Abdominal Pain, Diarrhea, Gas Bloating are also cause Acidity. Acid reflux and heartburn are also associated with GERD. GERD is a disease that occurs due to damage of tissues and cells of esophagus. With time, stomach acid break up into the esophagus due to poor functioning lower esophagus sphincter (LES). LES is a band of muscle that act as a valve between the stomach and sphincter.
Cause of Acid Reflux and Acidity:
- Eating large meals or lying down right after a meal
- Being overweight or obese
- Eating a heavy meal and lying on your back or bending over at the waist
- Snacking close to bedtime
- Eating certain foods, such as citrus, tomato, chocolate, mint, garlic, onions, or spicy or fatty foods
- Drinking certain beverages, such as alcohol, carbonated drinks, coffee, or tea
- Being pregnant
- Drug abuse, certain muscle relaxers, or blood pressure medications.