Acidity happens when; the lower sphincter muscle of the food pipe does not function in a proper manner. Due to this the acids of the stomach flow back into the food pipe. It causes an uncomfortable feeling in the chest area.
You may be wondering what this sphincter muscle is. It is a ring of muscle or valve present at the entrance of your stomach. Its work is to open for allowing the food to pass and close afterward. In case it fails to do so, the acid of the stomach escapes.
The signs related to acidity are hot burning in the chest, an unpleasant bitter taste in the throat and severe bloating in the stomach.
It may not be a serious health condition like heart problems etc. But one in ten people experience it every day. If you are one of them, it is important to understand why it happens. So, let’s take a look at some of the common causes of acidity.
Taking Long gaps between Meals :
When you skip your meals the acid level of the stomach rises and leads to acidity. The irregular meal timings, long and odd working hours and night shifts of work cause this problem.
Drinking too much Coffee or Tea :
Drinks like coffee or tea contain caffeine in them and cause trouble in your stomach. Plus makes your body dehydrated. Consuming more tea and coffee can cause acid reflux.
Eating Spicy Food :
Foods containing excess spices increase the secretions of the acid in the stomach. The delicate stomach walls cannot tolerate the extreme spices and cause acidity.
Imbalance of Gut Bacteria :
Our gut contains many bacteria which are the good one and helps to digest food. Any imbalance in their number can cause a disturbance in the stomach and result in acid reflux.
Eating before Bedtime :
Just having dinner before going to bed can cause acidity problem. This happens because when you lay down, the stomach contents will put pressure on the sphincter muscle. The acid moves back to the food pipe.
These are some common causes of acidity. Other things which can trigger this problem are: –
- Laying down
- Bending on the waist
- Certain medications
You can prevent acidity by following some simple yet effective tips which are shared below.
- Avoid eating foods that can cause acid reflux. Fatty and spicy foods, tomatoes, citrus, chocolate, coffee/tea and aerated drinks can cause acidity.
- Try to eat small meals; larger meals make your stomach full and put pressure on the lower sphincter.
- Have a glass of lukewarm Water every day on empty stomach in the morning.
- Include fruits like watermelon, banana, and cucumber in your diet. These improve the digestion process and prevent acidity.
- Don’t lie down after eating. After having your meal, wait for at least 3 hours before you lie down. Eating a meal and then stretching out for a nap can take gravity out of the equation. This results in easy pressing of the acid against the sphincter and it flows into the food pipe.
- Try to avoid having pickles, spicy chutneys, and vinegar etc.
- To get instant relief from acidity, you can take jaggery (Gur), lemon, banana, and yogurt.
- Cold Milk has the ability to stabilize the acids in your stomach and can give you relief from acidity. So, drinking a glass of cold milk can ease your trouble.
- Smoking promotes reflux issues thereby increasing your acidity. Alcohol can irritate the stomach. Hence, cut down these unhealthy habits.
- Maintain a balance in your life. Avoid eating spicy and oily food in your diet in case you face acidity problem quite often. Drink a good amount of water or increase the fluid intake. Do few exercises on regular basis for improving your overall health.
- Lack of sleep often becomes a reason for gastric issues. A minimum of 7 hours sleep in a day is important to stay healthy.
- The magic of lemon water; prepare a simple drink by squeezing the juice of a fresh lemon and add sugar to it. Sipping this drink before lunch helps to reduce uneasiness.
Keep these causes and tips in your mind to keep your stomach free from problems. Try to follow a healthy lifestyle for a better health.
Plus you can take Ayurvedic churna that is Pet Saffa Natural Laxative granules to get relief from acidity. This herbal formulation contains the goodness of 11 herbs which are gentle on the walls of the stomach. It helps to give you relief from gas, acidity, and constipation. Taking 1-2 tsp. Pet saffa powder with water before bedtime can be helpful.
Stay healthy stay happy!
If you liked reading this article, do like and share it. You can share your views in the comment box below.