Acidity and Constipation are close cousins. The one who suffers from indigestion (dyspepsia/upset stomach) has suffered from both acidity and constipation. Indigestion / upset stomach is a broader term recounting for the discomforting kind of pain in the upper abdomen. Bloating, nausea and burping are the associated array of symptoms accompanying indigestion. Indigestion results in acidity which causes heartburn, gastric inflammation (gastritis), peptic/ stomach ulcers.
What is Acidity?
Everyone has experienced episodes of indigestion, acidity and constipation in their lifetimes. A set of symptoms resulting from excessive acid production (hydrochloric acid) by the gastric glands of the stomach is called acidity. Normal acid production is required for the breakdown and digestion of food.
Abnormal levels of acid are produced due to following cases:
- Excessive consumption of non vegetarian ,spicy and oily foods
- Peptic /stomach ulcers
- Gap between meals and irregular meal timings
- Helicobacterium Pylori bacterial infection of the stomach
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Lack of sleep
- Smoking and alcohol consumption
- Poor diet habits
- Intake of Non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
A burning like sensation is felt after eating a meal in case of patients suffering from acidity. Constipation and indigestion are the side problems seen in patients with acidity issues. Indigestion and acidity are already defined. Let’s catch up with constipation. What is constipation? Constipation is not an illness, it is a problem. Normal movement of undigested food through colon is compromised resulting in hard fecal matter formation resulting in constipation. Delay of bowel movements (fewer than three motions in a week) associated with hard and dry stool formation is the predominant indication of constipation. Lack of exercise, stress, lack of sleep, poor diet habits are some of the general causes of constipation.
Relation Between Acidity & Constipation
Have you heard the term acid reflux? It is a very common condition characterized by burning pain called heartburn (though not related to heart), internally felt in area of close proximity with lower chest. It is caused by stomach acid flowing back up into the food pipe through the valve (gastro esophageal sphincter) which acts a muscle. Its improper relaxation and contraction leads to Acid reflux, Acid reflux is known by a heavier scientific name gastro esophageal reflux disease, or GERD, when the frequency of it is increased accompanied by the long lasting chronic consequences.
The most ubiquitous symptom of both acid reflux / GERD in adults is a burning sensation in the chest/ throat commonly called heartburn. Acid reflux occurs in kids too but they don’t feel heartburn as a symptom. Symptoms of dry cough, asthma and difficulty in swallowing are seen in kids.
Medicines which are used to treat acid reflux and GERD like Over the counter medications (antacids including Rolaids, Mylanta etc), Nizatidine, Famotidine, Lansoprazole, Lansoprazole etc can cause digestive problems including constipation, diarrhea, abdominal pain, bloating, gas and nausea.
Natural Remedies for Heartburn/Acid Reflux
Heartburn and acid reflux often happen forcing us to binge on allopathic medications. They do provide instant relief and temporary cure. Side effects include constipation, diarrhea, abdominal pain, bloating, gas, nausea, headache, runny nose, sore throat, fatigue, drowsiness and restlessness. Want to blame the hectic sedentary bad lifestyle for taking instant relief medications? It’s okay to take allopathic medications for instant relief but a little effort on individual’s part can give a long term relief and also give relief from the minor side effects.
Try these Natural Remedies for Heartburn/Acid Reflux. These are as follows:
- Take apple cider vinegar (unfiltered): Take 1 tablespoon/3 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in 12 tablespoons of water. You can take two to three times during the day. Don’t overtake it, as it is taken to give required acid intake to the body. The acid itself is the indicator of closure or opening of gastro esophageal sphincter.
- Become lovers of bananas : Bananas contain natural antacids which act as buffer against acid reflux. Eating one banana a day keeps acidity at bay.
- Half a cup of aloe vera juice Take: Half cup of aloe vera juice before meals can do wonders to the problems of acidity. Aloe vera has benefits of reducing inflammation of stomach lining. The other benefits of aloe vera juice are well known like good skin and prevention against sunburn.
- Basic compound intake-A spoon full of baking soda: Baking soda is known as sodium bicarbonate. It helps neutralize stomach acid as it is a basic compound having pH greater than 7.
- Ginger root tea: In 2 cups of water add the sliced pieces of ginger root and let the simmering take pace of 30 minutes. Have it before 20 minutes of your meal.
- Almonds : Snack on 3 to 4 almonds after your meal. These yummy nuts acts as an antidote to heartburn/acid reflex problems.
The most important measure is to track your diet noting down which foods cause the feeling of heartburn/acid reflux and related abdominal issues. The other important things to follow in your routine should be of a regular exercise routine, eating a balanced diet and to keep yourself protected from obesity.
‘Acidity and constipation in sync
Don’t sink in the feeling of heartburn loop in a blink
Healthy lifestyle is the only brave relink’
Acidity and Constipation? If you have any other information, Please add in Comments.