Nowadays, everyone is suffering from common stomach problems like acidity, constipation, indigestion due to their different food habits. Sometimes it is not so harmful but if it persists for a long time then it may give rise to other symptoms. Therefore, you should also aware of some other related problems of your digestive system. Here’s we’d like to discuss Acid Reflux.
What is Acid Reflux?
Acid reflux occurs when some of the acid content of the stomach flows up into the esophagus. The gastroesophageal sphincter normally acts as a valve that lets food into the stomach but not backs up into the esophagus. When this valve fails, stomach contents are regurgitated into the esophagus. Acid reflux is a very common condition. It is characterized by a burning pain, known as heartburn. This pain is felt internally around the lower chest area. If heartburn occurs regularly i.e. two or more times a week, it is termed gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). Although acid reflux is common and not dangerous, chronic heartburn can cause serious complications. Acid reflux is also known as heartburn, acid indigestion, or pyrosis.
Risk factors for acid reflux disease:
- Smoking (active or passive).
- High intake of table salt.
- Low dietary fiber intake.
- Drinking certain beverages such as alcohol, fizzy drinks, coffee or tea.
- Eating large meals or lying down right after a meal.
- Eating a heavy meal and lying on your back or bending over at the waist.
- Low levels of physical exercise.
- Snacking close to bedtime.
- Eating certain foods like citrus, tomato, chocolate, mint, garlic, onions, or spicy or fatty foods.
- Medications including, analgesics & certain muscle relaxants or certain blood pressure medications.
What are the common symptoms of acid reflux disease?
Common symptoms of acid reflux include:
- Heartburn – a burning pain or discomfort that arises behind the breastbone that may move towards the throat.
- Regurgitation – a sour or bitter-tasting acid backing up into throat or mouth.
Other possible symptoms of acid reflux disease are as follows:
- Dysphagia – difficulty swallowing or a sensation of food being stuck in your throat
- Hiccups that don’t let up
- Weight loss for no known reason
- Wheezing, dry cough, hoarseness or a chronic sore throat
What are the foods that help in reducing acid reflux?
There are some specific foods which you can add into your diet to manage symptoms of acid reflux.
You should increase the intake of green beans, broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower, leafy greens, potatoes, and cucumbers.
- Noncitrus fruits:
Noncitrus fruits, such as bananas, pears, melons, and apples, are less commonly lead to reflux symptoms than acidic fruits.
- Healthy Fats:
Sources of healthy fats include walnuts, flaxseed, avocados, olive oil, sesame oil, and sunflower oil. Limit your intake of saturated fats and Trans fats.
Ginger has natural anti-inflammatory properties. It is used as a natural treatment for heartburn and other gastrointestinal problems.
Oatmeal can absorb acid in the stomach and decrease the symptoms of reflux.
- Lean meats:
Lean meats including, chicken, fish, and seafood contain low fat and lessen the risk of acid reflux.
- Egg whites:
Egg white is a good choice for reducing acid reflux. Avoid taking egg yolks as these are high in fat and may trigger reflux symptoms.
What are the changes required in day to day Lifestyle?
Furthermore, you can also manage symptoms of acid reflux with proper diet and nutrition along with lifestyle changes.
- Avoid alcohol.
- Maintain an upright position for at least 2 hours after eating.
- Don’t eat 3 to 4 hours prior to sleep.
- Stop smoking.
- Give up the habit of overeating.
- Uplift the head of your bed 4 to 6 inches to reduce reflux symptoms while sleeping.
- Drink lots of water every day.
- Avoid skipping breakfast or lunch, it can lead to overeating and overdrinking.
- Don’t eat spicy foods and fried foods.
- Notice how your symptoms respond to specific foods and drinks. If these foods cause any problem then try to avoid such type of foods.
Hope this information about acid reflux are really helpful for you all. Enjoy a healthy living by changing your diet. Take good care of your health as a healthy outside start from the inside. A natural product like Pet saffa with the goodness of natural ingredients can also help you in reducing such type of stomach problems.
“Never underestimate the value of good health. Your health impacts every moment of your life.”4.5 out of 5 based on 4 reviews.Overall rating: